Friday 12 April 2013

essence cosmetics Home Sweet Home Collection Review and Swatches Part 2: Gel Shine Polishes

This is the second part of the Home Sweet Home Collection by essence cosmetics. You can check out part 1 where I reviewed and swatched the lipsticks and blushes here.


*

The polishes are described as "nail polish with high coverage gives your nails a trendy gel-like look and adds a touch of colour to the dismal months of the year".

L-R: 01 Caramel Cheese Cake, 02 Red-Y To Relax, 03 Hot Fruit Punch and 04 Berry Me Home


01 Caramel Cheese Cake (S$4.50 for 8mL) is a orange creamsicle colour. 

This is 3 coats.




02 Red-Y To Relax (S$4.50 for 8mL) is a neon coral red shade.

This was 2 coats.



03 Hot Fruit Punch (S$4.50 for 8mL) is rich blackcurrant shade.

This was 3 coats.



04 Berry Me Home (S$4.50 for 8mL) is a rich brick red shade.

This is 2 coats.


*

As opposed to the core range of polishes that essence sell, these are marketed as being 'gel shine' formulas. The main things I expect from a nail polish when I hear the formula is a gel consistency are a certain level of sheer-ness, a thin consistency and really glossy when dried.


Caramel Cheese Cake had a very thick consistency. I tried to correct it with a second coat hoping it wouldn't streak and then a third but in the end it was still quite streaky. I think it is a very unusual shade of polish one that I have never seen nor owned. (It also makes me want to eat a Caramac!) The colour is very rich and the formulation to me seems more like a creme than a gel. I really like the colour, just wish the formulation on it worked better.

Red-Y To Relax applied fantastically. The formula is thin, but workable. I applied two coats for the swatch, but you could easily get away with one and have full opacity. Very shiny.

Hot Fruit Punch. Oh Hot Fruit Punch how I love you. I don't know what it is but the name and the shade just makes me think of sitting around a fire, drinking some delicious warm punch/cider and it makes me smile! It has a good consistency, very shiny.

Lastly, Berry Me Home a classic red colour. It isn't the most original colour and after I swatched it it reminded me of a darker version of the Snow White  from the Snow White Collection a while back. So if you missed out on that you might want to pick up this colour or Red-Y To Relax. Also very shiny when dried.

*

Red-Y To Relax and Berry Me Home definitely have the stand-out formulation and application, but Caramel Cheese Cake and Hot Fruit Punch are the more 'unique' shades in the collection.

I personally love autumnal colours, I think that they suit my skin tone well. That's one thing that I dislike about living in Singapore is that the leaves never change colour and sometimes I just want to see the seasons change.

Overall I think this is one of the best collections that essence has released in a while, every single product (that I purchased and tried) was an A+ in quality.

You can find out which Watsons closest to you sells essence cosmetics here (there might be one closer than you think :P)



Thanks for stopping by,
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment